[tor-relays] Tor relay system & uptime requirements

Goulven Guillard lecotegougdelaforce at free.Fr
Thu Feb 2 14:41:35 UTC 2012

Thanks for all the replies.  I'll give it a try as a middle node for a
start (as soon as my ISP fixes my intempestive deconnection issue…).

Is an exit node is more CPU(/RAM ?) consuming than a middle one ?
Assuming it is the case, as it seems that Tor does need more exit nodes,
what would be best (in a Tor perspective) for a given CPU/RAM
consumption : an exit node with lower bandwidth or a middle node with
more bandwidth ?

Concerning OpenSSL's performance the Sheevaplug's Marvell Kirkwood CPU
seems to have a hardware crypto engine which can be used thanks to
cryptodev-linux, apparently this may help.

Now, what about the uptime issue ?  Is it worth (again in a Tor network
perspective) installing a bridge on a computer which is up only a few
hours a day ?

Le 02/02/2012 01:17, grarpamp a écrit :
>>> I have also thought about using the PC of my parents as a bridge
>
> Not a good idea to subject anyone but yourself to the potential
> issues of being an exit :) So a non-exit or bridge is better.

Indeed, for their computer it will be a bridge or nothing, depending on
the answer to the question above.

G.