[tor-relays] Tor relay system & uptime requirements

Goulven Guillard lecotegougdelaforce at free.Fr
Wed Feb 1 16:45:10 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I am considering setting up a tor relay.  However my configuration is
not powerful and I failed to find precise informations about the
hardware system requirements.  I believe it would be useful to have such
informations in the FAQ, along with graphs of the needed RAM & CPU as a
function of the allocated bandwidth.

Anyway, I would use a Sheevaplug (Marvell 1.2 GHz CPU, 512 MB DDR2 @ 400
MHz) running Debian Squeeze.  It already serves as a small webserver
(~200 visits/month, <10 MB bandwidth/month), and 150 MB of RAM are
allocated to flashybrid (which helps preserving the SD card life by
keeping /var/log/* and such data in RAM and write it down only once in a
while).

First questions : would it be eligible as a tor relay ?  As a tor exit ?
  Or should I rather go for a bridge ?  I guess my bandwidth will be
limited by the hardware, how much would you suggest ?

On the same network is my personal computer which is much more powerful
but down most of the day, so I guess it would be unworthy to make use of
it ?

I have also thought about using the PC of my parents as a bridge
(smaller bandwidth), but again it is online only a few hours a day,
would it be worth it ?

Thanks.

Regards,

G.