[tor-relays] DDOS?

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Sun Dec 30 12:33:45 UTC 2012

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 21:44:35 -0500
Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel at gmail.com> allegedly wrote:

> > How long does it take from the time a node is shut down to the point
> > where no-one will attempt to connect through it?
> >
> > Mick
>
> Hi Mick,
>
> Technically clients will attempt to use your node until the majority
> of the directory authorities agree your node is no longer reachable
> (should not take more than a little over 1 hour, assuming I
> understand the code correctly) plus 3 hours (a client considers a
> consensus valid for at most 3 hours), so roughly 4 hours. However,
> because some clients have incorrectly set clocks, connections will
> most likely trickle in past this point. I think after 5 hours no
> valid clients should still try to connect.

Matt

That does indeed help. Thank you.

I guess that what I was seeing was mostly tor client attempts. As for
my VPS provider, they still haven't answered my questions as to why they
shut down my machine without telling me. I suspect the DDOS excuse was
just that, an excuse. I'm probably one of the few users who actually
get anywhere near the full bandwidth allocation I pay for. Given that
the VPS is cheap (and probably on a box which is oversold) it's entirely
possible my usage is stretching the resource, and they don't like
that.

Ho Hum. Time to look for another provider.

Cheers

Mick

blog: baldric.net
gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312