[tor-relays] Complaint about spam originating from my server

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Thu Dec 13 23:12:51 UTC 2012

Hi Brock,

On 13.12.2012 16:28, Brock Tice wrote:
> Is there something I am missing?

Look closely at the first "Received" header:

received:_from_[209.188.113.101]_by_web184904.mail.gq1.yahoo.com_via_HTTP;_Tue,_11_Dec_2012_03:54:56_PST

This means the spam was sent via Yahoo, and got delivered there from
your exit via HTTP (Webmail).

> Is there anything else I should do to
> prevent this in the future?

There's not much you can do about this, unless you want to
systematically block all webmail services. :-(

> Could there be some way that a Tor user
> could locally send mail using my server?

It's always good to take a look at the Received headers to rule out that
someone has managed to break into your server.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/