[tor-relays] Operating a sponsored relay

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Wed Aug 29 19:25:13 UTC 2012

Hi John,

Great to see your interested in running a relay! We are aiming to
compensate no more than $100 per server and month, which is unlikely to
cover all your costs. You will probably have to produce receipts showing
your expenses, fronting up the money. We are not quite there yet, but I
hope we can win you as someone you isn't in it just for the money, but
also as a Friend of Tor who likes to become part of saving the world (a
little).

I don't know about other operators, but Torservers.net deliberately
keeps the boxes unencrypted. We already produce a lot of unnecessary tax
money to be wasted every time police investigates a (lost) cause. From
what we hear, encryption just makes them keep the hardware longer and
not return it as soon as possible. We are talking worse case here anyway
-- not too many operators have seen a seizure of equipment yet (we did,
two last year, in the US).

I agree on the notion that it helps if operator and server are in
different countries. Others may disagree, given that it complicates a
hypothetical case in court and given that you need to know about the law
in two countries.

It would be nice to have someone detailing how you exactly go about
setting up an LLC. We set up a non-profit in Germany and I am happy to
help anyone who is thinking about going the same route. An association
here is much easier to set up than a company, and gives you similar
results when it comes to liability.

Is there anything else I can help you with at this point in time?

--
Moritz

On 29.08.2012 21:01, Dude wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have experience working at ISPs supporting dedicated servers and am interested in operating a sponsored relay.
>
> Potential issues I see:
>
> #  A true 100mb network connection is going to be expensive.  Often a 24 port edge switch has just one 100mb uplink port.
>
> #  As an operator,  I might want an LLC to protect me from personal liability in the USA.
>
> #  Ideally an ISP outside the USA would be used so the server is in a different legal jurisdiction than the operator.  This would make payment and communication more difficult.
>
> At this time I imagine a server with an encrypted file system and long term log retention disabled.  Reasonably hardened OS, but nothing too exotic.  I think $100 a month above other costs would be fair.  But I do not know how much attention a node would require once it was set up.  If it requires a lot of time, more compensation would be in order.
>
> I am not looking to make a lot of money doing this, but I can not do it gratis.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/