[tor-relays] Operating a sponsored relay

Dude ddkhat at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 19:01:11 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have experience working at ISPs supporting dedicated servers and am interested in operating a sponsored relay.

Potential issues I see:

#  A true 100mb network connection is going to be expensive.  Often a 24 port edge switch has just one 100mb uplink port.

#  As an operator,  I might want an LLC to protect me from personal liability in the USA.

#  Ideally an ISP outside the USA would be used so the server is in a different legal jurisdiction than the operator.  This would make payment and communication more difficult.

At this time I imagine a server with an encrypted file system and long term log retention disabled.  Reasonably hardened OS, but nothing too exotic.  I think $100 a month above other costs would be fair.  But I do not know how much attention a node would require once it was set up.  If it requires a lot of time, more compensation would be in order.

I am not looking to make a lot of money doing this, but I can not do it gratis.

Cheers,

John