[tor-relays] Exit Port Usage Statistics for "Allow all" nodes

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Wed Aug 15 21:23:30 UTC 2012

Thus spake Steve Snyder (swsnyder at snydernet.net):

> On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:44pm, "Mike Perry"
> <mikeperry at torproject.org> said:
> > Here's the read and write statistics from the ExtraInfo descriptors
> > from a handful of the fastest default-policy and reduced-policy
> > relays:
> >

> Pardon my tangent, but: The enormous discrepancy in read/write values,
> if accurate, makes a mockery of AccountingMax for purposes of tracking
> bandwidth used.

These are per-port exit stats. I believe AccountingMax is for *all*
relayed traffic.

For every byte the exit writes to a port, that is a byte it had to read
on an orconn from another relay.

Similarly, for every byte an exit read from a port, that is a byte it
has to write to an orconn to another relay.

Thus, for exit relays, *total* upstream and downstream will be mostly
symmetric. There may be some discrepencies for packing data into 512
byte cells, though.

--
Mike Perry