[tor-relays] Help the Tor Project by running a fast unpublished bridge

Lorenz Kirchner znerol2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 03:55:55 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

I'm not a tor expert but I am in China and have been using tor... I brought
this up before and I still feel that tor would benefit from having special
(entry)relays inside the GFW that have a reliable link to relays outside
the GFW. Clients inside GFW could then always connect to these relays.
Actually, probably tens of thousands of people have VPN connections and
they could host such relays to provide access to clients, even such that
might be completely blocked from accessing addresses outside the GFW,
which, sadly, that is not so uncommon either.

Of course it would be great to reveal as little information as possible
about such special relays in public... and continue to make the tor
connections as un-conspicuous as possible

20 mbit fiber connections are rapidly becoming commonplace in China. VPNs
are commonplace already and I think in the case of GFW the tor project
could make use of this situation.

I'd love to see some sort of an easy deployable tor relay package that
could listen on both the chinese and vpn address and relay traffic between
the two...

or even develop a free tor-super-relay package with a dedicated built-in
tor-exclusive vpn... ok maybe that's too much.. just a thought from a user

keep up the good work.

Loz