[tor-relays] Help the Tor Project by running a fast unpublished bridge

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Mon Aug 13 11:08:11 UTC 2012

On 13.08.2012 12:56, Andrew Beveridge wrote:
> I guess I fit into that category - the exit I run (mentioned previously
> in the exit funding thread) is on a server which has about 3 free IP
> addresses which I'm not using right now - I could easily use them as
> fast unpublished bridges if somebody explained briefly how.

Thank you!

First, as you want to run both exit and bridge on one server, it will be
useful to switch to a modified init script that makes it easier to
handle multiple Tors:

cd /etc/init.d
wget -O tor https://www.torservers.net/misc/config/initd-tor
chmod +x tor

Example usage:

# ls /etc/tor
tor0.cfg tor1.cfg tor2.cfg tor3.cfg
# /etc/init.d/tor start    # starts tor 0-3
# /etc/init.d/tor stop     # stops tor 0-3
# /etc/init.d tor reload tor2 tor3
# /etc/init.d/tor stop tor1

Next, in /etc/tor, rename your current torrc to tor0.cfg and create a
new file called tor1.cfg:

----- snip -----

## separate directories per tor process
DataDirectory /var/lib/tor/bridge
PidFile /var/run/tor/tor-bridge.pid
Log notice file /var/log/tor/notices-bridge.log

Address 109.163.233.200 # your second external IP
OutboundBindAddress 109.163.233.200
ORListenAddress 109.163.233.200:443

## default bridge port 443
ORPort 443