[tor-relays] "Relay info kit" for Tor exits at universities

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Sun Aug 12 13:23:46 UTC 2012

On 11.08.2012 10:08, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> - What are the good answers now to "what hardware should I use, and how
> should I configure it?" I've been telling people they'll be happiest with
> Debian, and that something 64-bit and/or with AESNI support will be best.

Seconded. We have moved to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for machines with AES-NI
support as it comes with a packaged OpenSSL 1.01. All that remains is
enabling the BIOS option and the kernel module as documented at
https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#aes-ni_crypto_acceleration

Machines without AES-NI can do ~150 Mbps max per Tor process (and core).
With AES-NI, you can see >200 Mbps. If your pipe is bigger, you need to
run multiple Tor processes and likely tweak some of your kernel settings
(
https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#high_bandwidth_tweaks_100_mbps
)

> - Is there some document suggesting how to SWIP your address, and
> explaining the importance of having your abuse mails go to someplace
> other than your general university abuse team? It's touched on in several
> places but we should make it even clearer.

ARIN: https://www.arin.net/resources/request/reassignments.html
The relevant template/process is called "IPv4 Reassign-Detailed".

RIPE: I could not find a location that explains how to reassign IP
space, but from what I know ISPs can do it via web interface.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/