[tor-relays] High speed Relays/Exit nodes

Pascal Pascal666 at Users.SourceForge.Net
Thu Aug 2 18:57:32 UTC 2012

The specs manufacturers publish for firewalls are typically best case
and combined throughput.  So if the specs say 1.2 Gbps throughput, this
means 600mbps each way, best case (max MTU packets, etc.).  In order to
guarantee 1Gbps each direction real world, you should look for a
firewall rated for at least 4Gbps.  I'm a bit of a Cisco bigot, which
means the ASA 5555 or ASA 5585 would be my recommendation.

Even though you only have "a single fiber incoming", you still should be
able to split the tor nodes from your corporate network.  Simply put a
switch on the fiber and connect your existing firewall and Tor nodes
directly to it.  If you really want a hardware firewall in front of your
Tor nodes as well, you can use a less expensive firewall just for them.
  A Cisco PIX 535 can be picked up off of eBay for around $300, and is
rated at 1.7Gbps (850mbps each way, real world maybe 5-600mbps).  As
your Tor nodes should not be talking to each other, only to Tor nodes
not in your family, you could easily put a separate cheap firewall in
front of each node rather than having one big firewall for everything.

-Pascal