[tor-relays] What to do about icecat.biz abuse complaints?

Geoff Down geoffdown at fastmail.net
Sat Apr 14 21:08:09 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012, at 07:15 AM, Steve Snyder wrote:
> I often get abuse complaints from icecat,biz saying that a "RIP attempt"
> was seen from the IP address of my exit node.  Apparently this involves
> too many connections in a given period of time.
>
> I've tried to contact them but get no answer from the e-mail address
> included in the abuse reports.  The Administrator listed in the
> icecat.biz whois says he just provides the network and can't provide any
> info about the company or who to contact within it.
>
> The abuse reports each say that my IP address will be blacklisted for a
> week.  Fine with me. I'd just as soon they blacklist it forever but as
> they are unresponsive to e-mail communication I can't tell them that.
>
> Short of turning my exit node into a middle node, what can I do about
> these frequent abuse reports?

 Just accessing that domain with Tor gets the response 'Your IP access
 was denied by our administrators, as it resembles a ripping attempt',
 with a captcha to proceed. Apparently they detect Tor but are sending
 abuse emails as well? How foolish.
 If you have emailed the Registrant Contact in the Whois, and the
 recipient denies responsibility for the domain, then the Whois is false
 and you should report it as such at
http://wdprs.internic.net/

GD