[tor-relays] Introduction

andrew at torproject.org andrew at torproject.org
Wed Sep 28 11:28:41 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 08:19:25PM -0800, patriko at glano.org wrote 0.8K bytes in 19 lines about:
: Thought I'd say a quick hello since I'm following the list for several
: days now. I'm running a non-exit relay, "Anonimulo" on a VPS account I
: have in Iceland. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep it up, I may

Thanks for running a relay. I'm interested to hear your experiences with
datacell in Iceland.

For a bit of background, I've talked to a few providers in Iceland and
they all told me about the backwards bandwidth arrangements where traffic
into Iceland is nearly free, but exiting Iceland is like 10x the cost
per MB. Maybe datacell is large enough to have negotiated a better rate
with Farice, http://www.farice.is/, the monopoly ISP that owns all the
lines in and out of the country for commercial traffic. I had to shut
down my exit relay because the outbound traffic was costing way too
much.

The Parliament and others realize the country is bathed in fiber, and
coupled with their geothermal power generation, electricity is nearly
free, they could easily become a huge global hosting operation. If only
their single fiber connection to the world wasn't the bottleneck.

--
Andrew
pgp key: 0x74ED336B