[tor-relays] max / burst speed

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Tue Sep 27 17:34:12 UTC 2011

I run 2 middle nodes, one at 150KB/300KB and the other at 100KB/200KB.  Both running what ever is the latest stable version of Tor (0.2.2.33 at this writing).

The 150KB/300KB node (Linux i686) occasionally spikes to the specified 150KB/sec, but 40% - 50% utilization is more typical.

The 100KB/200KB node (Win7 x86_64) never gets to the specified 100KB/sec of traffic.

Either there is simply not enough traffic to saturate all available middle nodes or Tor's node selection algorithm is, um, sub-optimal.

Also, I have come to distrust TorStatus.  Why?  Because difference sites will have different numbers while supposedly monitoring the same network.  One of my nodes is currently showing an Observed bandwidth of 10KB (yes, ten) at torstatus.blutmagie.de while the same node is showing an Observed 83KB at torstatus.all.de.  Don't take the reported values as gospel.