[tor-relays] Hibernation timing & bandwidth

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Wed Oct 5 17:20:19 UTC 2011

I have a relay with a fixed monthly bandwidth limit, so I expect the relay to hibernate toward the end of the month.  (I'm trying to spread the bandwidth out over the month, but actual relay utilization cannot be estimated accurately.)

I'm wondering how to time this hibernation period.  What I'd like to avoid is hibernating during a period when relay hibernation is common.

If I know that most Accounting-limited relays hibernate at, say, the end of the calendar month, then I can schedule my hibernation to be at the start of the calendar month.  If most hibernation is done on Saturday (day 6, the end of the week) then I can arrange to sleep on Wednesday (day 3).

Is there a known trend to relay hibernation that I can schedule against?

Thanks.