[tor-relays] Tor bridge relay

SiR GadaBout sirgadpc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 02:05:54 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm a new user of Ubuntu Linux considering setting up a bridge relay on the
tor network over my home connection.  If you don't mind, I'd like to set
out my aims first.

I have a laptop currently serving a Privoxy ad-filtering proxy for my home
network.  The plan is to torify my iPhone whilst retaining the ad-filtering
effects of Privoxy.  Once I'm comfortable this is working, i'd like to turn
the server into a bridge relay.

1) Can I Torify my iPhone in this manner without a jailbreak?
2) Is my use of Privoxy counter-productive? I believe it is no longer
bundled with Tor owing to privacy concerns.
3) Is it possible to make my bridge relay operate only between certain
hours, so as not to aggravate my ISP? I'd be thinking of making it
available for ten hours every day during local off-peak hours.  I could
consider making it available permanently if this pans out okay, or if the
timed service isn't an option.

My iPhone is a 3GS running iOS 5.0.1.  The laptop is running Ubuntu Server
11.10 64-bit. It has 2GB DDR2 RAM, a 2GHz Core2Duo CPU and a Gigabit
Ethernet connection. My broadband is 10Mb down, 1Mb up.

Thanks in advance,

B.