[tor-relays] In which countries are relays needed, disallowed?

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Fri Nov 25 16:05:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 10:12:56 -0500 (EST)
"Steve Snyder" <swsnyder at snydernet.net> allegedly wrote:

> I tried to set up a Tor relay in the UK today and was told that UK
> law prohibited anonymous Internet traffic.  My tentative UK ISP told
> me that they must be able to provide identification of users if
> presented with a court order.  Hmmm...

Rubbish. I run two tor exit nodes in the UK (and have run three in the
past). The ISP in question is at best misguided, at worst lying. The
ISP must be able to identify its customer - i.e. you. Try a different
ISP. I currently use ThrustVPS and Daily because they give a lot of
bandwidth for not much money. But I have also used, and can thoroughly
recommend, Bytemark. I'd use bytemark for all my traffic if they
offered as much bandwidth as I get elsewhere.

Just be sure that you tell your chosen ISP that you are going to run a
Tor node and read their AUP carefully.

Mick

The text file for RFC 854 contains exactly 854 lines.
Do you think there is any cosmic significance in this?

Douglas E Comer - Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume 1

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc854.txt