[tor-relays] In which countries are relays needed, disallowed?

Julian Yon julian at yon.org.uk
Fri Nov 25 15:38:49 UTC 2011

On 25/11/11 15:12, Steve Snyder wrote:
> I tried to set up a Tor relay in the UK today and was told that UK
> law prohibited anonymous Internet traffic.  My tentative UK ISP told
> me that they must be able to provide identification of users if
> presented with a court order.  Hmmm...

Did they quote the relevant legislation? It smells of bulls**t. AFAIK
the ISP only needs to be able to identify *you*. A court order served on
the ISP won't be binding on you. And data protection law should mean
that you don't have to disclose anything to your ISP about people who
use your service. Think about if you were providing a business service;
your customers would be entitled to confidentiality (under DPA). Are you
prepared to name the ISP?

I'm asking as I'm in the UK (but not a lawyer). I know this country has
become incredibly hostile towards anonymity of late, but to the best of
my knowledge no existing legislation outright forbids it.

Julian

--
3072D/D2DE707D Julian Yon (2011 General Use) <pgp.2011 at jry.me>