[tor-relays] Middleman/guard nodes raided in the Netherlands

David davidlusthof at goatse.be
Thu Nov 10 14:31:24 UTC 2011

Op 10-11-11 15:20, Nils Vogels schreef:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 14:44, Orionjur Tor-admin
> <tor-admin at orionjurinform.com> wrote:
>> On 10.11.2011 11:48, David wrote:
>>> I just wanted to let everyone know that my two Tor nodes have been
>>> raided (+all my computer equipment and everything that could store data).
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what triggered all this unwanted attention, but I suspect
>>> that it's the local police department trying to make a score after tor
>>> getting some media attention. It doesn't look to be a very 'high-tech'
>>> operation because I got a call asking me for the root password to the
>>> tor servers that are on unencrypted disks...
>>>
>>> Let this be a warning to everyone running middlemans in the Netherlands,
>>> I found out the hard way.
>>>
>>> Nicknames of the servers where AIVD and MIVD, no clue what the public
>>> key was. But consider them compromised.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> David
>>
>> Interesting. They already raids on middleman/guard nodes, not only exits?
>> What can be reasons of such raids?
>
> Possibly non tor-related? As far as I read the post, it isn't clear
> right now why the raid had taken place, and I know (unfortunately)
> from personal experience as a raided exit-operator in NL it can take a
> while before this is clear why exactly the raid happened. Took me a
> few weeks to get clarity, also because the police will not tell you
> much until they have analysed the evidence.
>
> Anyhow, David, good luck, it's not easy having to explain your
> neighbors why the police raided your house.

They where specifically talking about 'The Tor servers'. And I got
raided by the 'Zeden' (not sure what the right translation is)
department of the police, so it's probably about CP.

Can't help but think it has something to do with all the attention Tor
has been getting by the police. Especially hidden services (which I did
not run).

How much time did they take to go through all your stuff? It has been 4
weeks since it happened here.

Thanks,
David