[tor-relays] Exit enclaves load time

Robert Ransom rransom.8774 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 16:13:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011 01:14:30 -0700
Zach Lym <indolering at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been running load time tests for duckduckgo.com and
> ff.duckduckgo.comthrough the
> Tor network.
>
> duckduckgo.com should be on an enclave
> node<https://www.dan.me.uk/torcheck?ip=72.94.249.36>,
> ff.duckduckgo.com should not be.  But they appear to be loading at
> comparable times and  LoadUI is showing no difference between the two URLs-
> even more complex queries such as "what is my IP"
>
> Can anyone tell if duckduckgo.com misconfigured?
> Is it the CDN that DuckDuckGo uses that equalizes the load time?
> Is the Tor network not utilizing the enclave node as heavily as the
> documentation makes it sound?
> Or have the exit proxies really gained that much capacity that they are no
> longer the bottleneck for such small small requests?

Tor finds an exit enclave for a server by looking for a relay whose IP
address matches the destination server's IP address.  Thus, Tor cannot
begin to use the exit enclave until it has performed a DNS lookup for
the server's hostname.  Tor will also send the first few streams to a
server with an exit enclave over an existing circuit; an exit enclave
is only used once Tor has built a circuit to the enclave relay.

Robert Ransom