[tor-relays] Keep your Tor relays updated!

Sebastian Hahn mail at sebastianhahn.net
Sun May 15 19:19:45 UTC 2011

On May 13, 2011, at 9:19 PM, tagnaq wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I encourage everyone running a relay to use an up to date Tor version.
> (especially directory authority operators - but they should know better
> anyway)

They do. They don't run versions that are too old, see below.

> This might be an obvious recommendation but there are a lot outdated
> relays (~15%).
>
> What are currently recommended Tor versions?
> You can find out by going to:
> https://metrics.torproject.org/consensus-health.html
> (go to "Recommended versions")
> 0.2.3.1 is also fine (atm).
>
> If you don't know what version you are using, run:
> tor --version
>
> If you are running an old version for a specific reason I'd like to hear
> about it (off-list if you wish).
>
> make the Tor network safer - update your relays.
> tagnaq
> PS: Next week I'll try to contact relay operators still running
> <0.2.1.29
> <0.2.2.21
> update if you want to help reduce the effort.

Before you contact anyone appearing to run 0.2.2.19-alpha,
check their descriptor and the git part of the version string
therein. Many of those people might run self-compiled versions
of Tor that are more up to date than they seem from the version
string.

Alternatively, some of those relay operators (independent of the
version that is shown in the descriptor) might run a version
provided by their packaging system that backports
security-relevant issues but leaves the rest of the updates alone,
and thus doesn't increase the version.

Sebastian