[tor-relays] Tor not releasing port on shutdown?

tagnaq tagnaq at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 07:58:49 UTC 2011

On 03/31/2011 09:06 AM, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Geoff Down wrote:
>
>> the most recent times I have tried to restart Tor after a 'killall
>> -INT' I have been presented with the following error:
>> "[warn] Could not bind to 0.0.0.0:9001: Address already in use. Is Tor
>> already running?"
>> I'm not sure if this has started since I changed version, I'm on
>> Tor 0.2.2.22-alpha (git-e5e38e55b33b2cc0)  OSX 10.3.9 .
>> Anyone else see this? How do I release that port?
>> Command 'lsof -i' returns no results, so I don't see Tor is really using
>> it still - no sign of Tor in command 'ps -aux' output.
>>
>> Update: after running those commands, Tor was able to start. Why the
>> delay? Is this normal?
>
> It can take up to a minute or so for the tor process to close its many many
> open sockets.

By default Tor takes 30 seconds before it really exits, you can modify
this "timeout" by specifying ShutdownWaitLength in your torrc.

from the manpage:

ShutdownWaitLength NUM
              When we get a SIGINT and we’re a server, we begin shutting
down: we close listeners and start refusing new circuits. After NUM
seconds, we  exit.
              If we get a second SIGINT, we exit immediately.  (Default:
30 seconds)