[tor-relays] Tor not releasing port on shutdown?

Geoff Down geoffdown at fastmail.net
Thu Mar 31 01:45:38 UTC 2011

Hi,
 the most recent times I have tried to restart Tor after a 'killall
 -INT' I have been presented with the following error:
"[warn] Could not bind to 0.0.0.0:9001: Address already in use. Is Tor
already running?"
 I'm not sure if this has started since I changed version, I'm on
Tor 0.2.2.22-alpha (git-e5e38e55b33b2cc0)  OSX 10.3.9 .
 Anyone else see this? How do I release that port?
Command 'lsof -i' returns no results, so I don't see Tor is really using
it still - no sign of Tor in command 'ps -aux' output.

Update: after running those commands, Tor was able to start. Why the
delay? Is this normal?

TIA
GD