[tor-relays] Network Scan through Tor Exit Node (Port 80)

cmeclax-sazri cmeclax-sazri at ixazon.dynip.com
Tue Mar 29 13:30:55 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 29 March 2011 05:06:15 Scott Bennett wrote:
>      Are you kidding?  Closing a connection upon receipt of the ACK
> response to the SYN you sent looks like normal HTTPS web browsing?  On what
> planet? Normal web browsing, whether HTTP or HTTPS, involves data
> transmission occurring in both directions between receipt of that ACK and
> the closing of the connection by the web browser.

Opening a web page with lots of images results in lots of connections to web
servers. If I hit the stop button before the images are loaded, my browser
will close those connections without receiving any data. Web pages do not
normally contain lots of HTTP links to sites that aren't running web servers,
so a lot of refused connections does not look like anything that can happen
in normal web browsing. Port scanning results in lots of connections closed
upon opening and lots of connections refused; the distinctor is the lots of
connections refused.

cmeclax