[tor-relays] about the balls of steel level of relay nodes

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 09:37:13 UTC 2011

> In the US, of all places, is probably the safest place to run an exit
> node.  There are organizations out there just waiting for a perfect
> case where someone is sued for running an exit node to prove that tor
> exit nodes are perfectly legal.

This is the common 'common carrier' exception. And I don't think
it is unreasonable to say that the EFF, in particular, and EPIC, ACLU,
etc, are in fact, said organizations. Nor would it be unreasonable to
ping your interests in becoming an exit relay past them beforehand.
They have publicly stated that, were an operator to be running a relay,
and be having a 'clean' life upon the date of the relay's inception, they
would be quite interested in evaluating any case brought against
such operator. That is very laudable and one worth looking into,
especially, and presumably so, if you can provide an independant
corporate housing for such service.