[tor-relays] Network Scan through Tor Exit Node (Port 80)

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Wed Mar 9 09:07:07 UTC 2011

     On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 14:25:16 -0800 Chris Palmer <chris at eff.org> wrote:
>On 03/08/2011 02:04 AM, Scott Bennett wrote:
>
>>      Frankly, I think it's appalling that a previous sponsor organization for
>> the tor project should turn on the tor network in the fashion you've confessed
>> here that it has.  I'm tempted to dig out all of the EFF IP address ranges
>> and block them permanently, just as a matter of principle, although it would
>> obviously have little real effect upon your organization.  No wonder so many
>> of us have run afoul of our ISPs when trying to run exit nodes when even EFF
>> is trying to spoil the tor network for us.  Who needs enemies with "friends"
>> like EFF?
>
>Do you understand the research we are doing? Do you know technically
>what we have done, and what we hope to do, and what the impact has been
>and will be?
>
>If you don't know yet, please check out our page:
>
>https://www.eff.org/observatory

     All right, I've looked.  I knew someone was doing that sort of thing,
but I didn't remember that EFF was involved.  It looks interesting and
valuable, but quite irrelevant to the point I made.  Nothing on that page
justifies subjecting tor exit node operators to the abuse and hassle of
being shut down by their ISPs because EFF is so crass as to run port scans
through the tor network.  Nothing on that page justifies damaging the tor
network by reducing the exit node pool by getting exit nodes shut down,
which also reduces the total number of relays, often for entry and middle
usage, too.

>If you have seen and understood that, please explain what about it you
>find so objectionable. Note also that the Tor Project is using our

     Done.  See above.

>database to improve Tor itself, too.

     Fine.  I don't see that EFF's port scans have to be done through the
tor network.

>We are working to make the internet safer for everyone.

     Well, sometimes, at least.  I'll never forget how John Barlow sold
us out during the time of William the Prevaricator, though.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG