[tor-relays] Network Scan through Tor Exit Node (Port 80)

Chris Palmer chris at eff.org
Tue Mar 8 22:25:16 UTC 2011

On 03/08/2011 02:04 AM, Scott Bennett wrote:

>      Frankly, I think it's appalling that a previous sponsor organization for
> the tor project should turn on the tor network in the fashion you've confessed
> here that it has.  I'm tempted to dig out all of the EFF IP address ranges
> and block them permanently, just as a matter of principle, although it would
> obviously have little real effect upon your organization.  No wonder so many
> of us have run afoul of our ISPs when trying to run exit nodes when even EFF
> is trying to spoil the tor network for us.  Who needs enemies with "friends"
> like EFF?

Do you understand the research we are doing? Do you know technically
what we have done, and what we hope to do, and what the impact has been
and will be?

If you don't know yet, please check out our page:

https://www.eff.org/observatory

If you have seen and understood that, please explain what about it you
find so objectionable. Note also that the Tor Project is using our
database to improve Tor itself, too.

We are working to make the internet safer for everyone.

--
Chris Palmer
Technology Director, Electronic Frontier Foundation