[tor-relays] Filtering at Exit Node [was: Network Scan through Tor Exit Node (Port 80)]

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Thu Mar 3 11:50:44 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 03.03.2011 12:29, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) wrote:
> Still i would like to point out a *practical* feeling that i got from a
> lot of person i tried to say "hey, run an exit node!".

I fully accept and understand your point. That's exactly why I started
Torservers.net, so you can "run" a Tor exit without having to bother
with complaints. That's the "low maintainance Tor exit" you are talking
about. :)

Centralization IS bad. That's why the purpose of Torservers.net is to
also want to encourage other people to follow our example, form
organizations etc. We were able to find a pro-bono lawyer, our
headquarters are based in his office etc, and bandwidth bought in bulk
is much cheaper. Hopefully I can publish some more guides, but a few are
already available in our wiki:
https://www.torservers.net/wiki/

e.g. the complete server setup we use:
https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server

> Some person tried to run an exit node, then they got their internet
> connection disconnected due to high number of claim.

Most people are better of by running a node with a very limited exit
policy. I get NO complaints whasoever for the exit that only allows 22,
53 and 443, for example.

> That person would be happy to support Freedom of Speech and fight for
> anti-censorship in support to people living in non-free world.
> At the same time they don't want to get involved in cyber attacks.

You can show your support for Freedom Of Speech in a lot of ways.

Money: Some people feel their purpose in life is to make a lot of dough.
Most "full time activists" live off nearly nothing. They NEED you the
same way you need them, and will be much better at fighting for the
cause than you are. A LOT of people are willing to give up their lifes
for some organizations, if only they had some money for their food.

Be Public: Spend a couple of bucks on printouts, flyers, whatever.
Distribute them. Go out, hold workshops. Write an excellent blog. In
general: SHOW your opinion. FIGHT propaganda. Our world is in such a bad
shape because people stay quiet, not because too few people run exits.

etc etc.

> In such condition I DO NOT WANT any traffic to go to italian networks,

Italy has worse problems than someone trying to run an exit. Work on
those. Make people understand that looking at half-naked women on
government TV isn't something that helps.

You can still form an organization that lobbies for Tor, organizes local
Tor user groups, coding sessions etc. This is time much better spent
than fighting for the right to run some [relatively] small exit.

Again, I understand your thoughts. For example, a list of public
bittorrent trackers that lead to DMCA complaints would be excellent to
have. Unfortunately, we don't have an ISP that allows us to test this. I
would begin by using a public tracker list, block all, and gradually
unblock trackers until you receive DMCA complaints again.
I do not need to block P2P as a whole. I need to block those that are
being monitored by the "entertainment" industry, and that can be done
using Tor's ExitPolicy.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/