[tor-relays] Advice for high throughput Tor node

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Tue Mar 1 01:30:35 UTC 2011

Thus spake Mitar (mmitar at gmail.com):
> The problem is that we will probably not be able to experiment much,
> what we will buy we will have. So I am hoping to get it right.
>
> We are targeting a fully open exit node policy so some advice on how
> to arrange things with ISP would also be good. We have good experience
> with one local ISP, but not on this scale. So probably it would be
> good to request a SWIP and abuse handle to our e-mail? Anything else?

I recommend against the default exit policy in the US, especially if
you do not want to have to do a lot of experimentation.

The community is drafting this policy as an alternative:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/ReducedExitPolicy

Your load characteristics will differ with this policy from default
exits (extrainfo statistics tell us you will see around half as much
traffic per tor process instance), so if you don't want to experiment,
you should decide your exit policy early.

Again, in the US, it is pretty much a must to use the reduced policy.
Even if content industry takes you to court, and you win (Tor-savvy US
lawyers say you probably will), big content can and will change the
law afterwords: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20014468-38.html

> Is there any software developed which would handle automatic abuse
> e-mails with automatic replies?

No. This would be great to have, though. For starter templates, see:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TheOnionRouter/TorAbuseTemplates

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist