[tor-relays] Number of Connections Open

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Sat Jul 30 23:09:39 UTC 2011

Exit server with maxed-out 10Mbit connection (1.1MB/sec):

# lsof -ni | grep _tor | wc -l
546

Relay server rate-limited to 150KB/sec:

# lsof -ni | grep _tor | wc -l
132

Regarding the relay server: torstatus.blutmagie.de reports Observed bandwidth of 51KB/sec while Vidalia reports 172KB/sec.

Neither server is CPU- or memory-constrained, and the relay server is not bandwidth constrained.

With all that said, I don't expect success in your endeavor.  In my experience, traffic on relays is really, really erratic.  Look at how the utilization bounces on a Stable server:

http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=4d393c7d93c16b97a3f41df94919ca8272239b96

Good luck modeling (and end-users estimating the use of their Internet connections) this kind of variation in network utilization.