[tor-relays] Odd activity on my rely

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Jul 19 21:02:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 02:20:18PM -0400, cmeclax-sazri wrote:
> Uploading large files sounds likely to me. Another possibility is that it's
> running a hidden download server that a lot of people are downloading from.

Good point -- this could be a hidden service and you're actually seeing
traffic from (to) a lot of different users.

Yet another option is that it's a bridge relay -- maybe you're seeing a
lot of uploads from hundreds of people in the middle east whose traffic
is aggregated at that bridge before going to a public relay.

Or the consistently high upload speed could be somebody seeding something
through bittorrent.

Lots of options. And it's hard to distinguish the "obviously good" cases
from the "obviously bad" ones, whatever those mean for each person.

--Roger