[tor-relays] control_auth_cookie problem

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Mon Jul 18 19:42:32 UTC 2011

Hi Guys

I use munin to monitor a bunch of stuff (including tor) on my servers.
The long run munin stats are quite useful.

I checked my stats today and noticed that there were no entries for tor
on one machine going back a couple of weeks. Now I know I rebooted the
machine in question about 12 days ago and I /think/ I upgraded tor at
that time. Certainly the restart will have caused a regeneration of the
cookie file anyway.

Checking my logs, I see the following from munin:

"Unable to connect to Tor ControlPort (515 Authentication failed: Wrong
length on authentication cookie"

and similarly in the tor log:
"
Got authentication cookie with wrong length (16)"

Now I can see that the cookie file is 32 characters long, so I'm
guessing that the file contains a control character that is screwing
up the munin php plugin line
"$cookie = file_get_contents($cookiepath);"

Anyone else seen this before? Any ideas for fixing it? - short of
restarting tor again (I've done that and I'm reluctant to keep on
stopping and starting what should be a stable server),

Thanks

Mick

The text file for RFC 854 contains exactly 854 lines.
Do you think there is any cosmic significance in this?

Douglas E Comer - Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume 1

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc854.txt