[tor-relays] How to set the path of tor control listener file?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Jul 18 16:35:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 04:03:11PM +0200, Klaus Layer wrote:
> I am running multiple tor instances on my relay server. All instances save the
> Control listener file to /var/run/tor/control. Therefore one instance
> overwrites the control listener file of the other. Is there a way to set the
> location where tor writes the control file as it can be done for PID file with
> parameter PidFile or authentication cookie file with parameter CookieAuthFile?

You're getting that /var/run/tor/control file because you're running the
debian Tor deb as the debian-tor user. (The debian Tor chooses different
defaults if it's being run as the debian-tor user.)

Options include (suggested by our debian tor maintainer):

1) Don't run them all as debian-tor; then you'll get the default
settings from upstream that don't muck with options.

2) Just add another ControlSocket option (that is, add a controlsocket
line to your torrc). They will still walk over each other for
/var/run/tor/control, but you'll have a second one.

Hope that helps,
--Roger