tor and local hosts

Jim jimmymac at copper.net
Thu Jan 27 23:00:02 UTC 2011

arygroup at gmail.com wrote:
> On 27/01/11 20:54, cmeclax-sazri wrote:
>> On Tuesday 25 January 2011 16:31:47 arygroup at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>> I;m using OpenSuse linux.
>>>
>>> I'm developing web-sites and have many local domains in my /etc/hosts
>>> files. How can I make tor not work what concerns my local development
>>> domains? I can't work as I have always to turn off tor in my FF when I
>>> want to access my local file.
>> In Konqueror, you can make exceptions to the proxy, which means that it
>> accesses those sites directly, not through Tor. I'm still trying to get
>> Firefox up on the new box, so I don't know if it has something similar.
>>
>> cmeclax
>>

> I need it to work in all browsers as I test web-sites in many browsers.
> Except konquerror (-: Surely FireFox is the main one.

Firefox also has that capability:

   Preferences -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings

I would imagine that most graphical browsers have that capability.  As
far as your other browsers are concerned, there is not a problem unless
you proxy them through Tor.  If you do, or if you want more control over
excepted domain names than the browser gives you, you can direct your
proxy requests to Privoxy instead of (or in addition to) Polipo.  In
specifying domain names, Privoxy allows the use of * and ?  as
wildcards.  They work the same way they do in shell globbing.

For example:

    forward-socks4a /       localhost:9050  .

    forward         .userfriendly.org       .
    forward         .msg.ya?oo.com          .
    forward         .mail.*.com             .

Placing the above in Privoxy's config will send everything through Tor
except domains ending in .userfriendly.org (which blocks Tor!!!) and
domains ending with the respective names with wildcards.  Privoxy uses
"last match wins" so the above order is correct.

Of course, all behavior alteration that Torbutton does still applies so
long as Torbutton is active.

Hope this helps ...

Jim