not much throughput

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Jan 2 01:00:52 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 12:46:09AM -0500, cmeclax-sazri wrote:
> On Friday 31 December 2010 22:15:23 Roger Dingledine wrote:
> > Another way to say that is that it is 5 times worse than the average node
> > that advertises 20KB/s. Probably part of that has to do with selecting
> > your 'bandwidthburst' at 20KB also.
>
> I'm on a cable modem connection. Going by the published speeds for my service
> level, I have 1.5 Mbit/s download and 384 kbit/s upload, and the next level
> up is 10 Mbit/s down and 1 Mbit/s up. I also have a phone (which has QoS
> priority, but I don't talk on it much) and a mail server and a web server.
> The web server gets some hits from robots, but I have seen 20 kB/s throughput
> on the Tor relay for around a minute at a stretch. How should I set the
> bandwidth parameters?

384/8 = 48KB/s. So my first suggestion would be to set your BandwidthBurst
to 48KB. That means if you're unused for a few seconds, then next time
somebody tries to use your relay they'll get a bit of a head start,
but it will still be constrained to 20KB/s long-term.

The next suggestion would be to raise BandwidthRate to something higher
that you're still comfortable with. You should experiment with various
values, but keep in mind that there will be a lag between a change you
make and when the bandwidth authorities re-measure you. I'm not sure
how long the lag is, but I'd imagine at least a few days.

> OT: In my webserver logs, there are lines like "GET
> http://healthiwant.com/proxyheader.php HTTP/1.1" coming from nameless
> computers in China. What's causing this?

This is just something you see if you connect a webserver to the Internet
-- the Internet is full of jerks and compromised computers scanning the
rest of the Internet.

Periodically I wonder if being on the Tor relay list increases the
attention you get. But I don't think anybody's done a controlled
experiment.

--Roger