not much throughput

cmeclax-sazri cmeclax-sazri at ixazon.dynip.com
Sat Jan 1 05:46:09 UTC 2011

On Friday 31 December 2010 22:15:23 Roger Dingledine wrote:
> Your relay is advertising a capacity of 20KB/s, but the bandwidth
> authorities have measured it at 4KB/s. See e.g.
> http://seul.org:9131/tor/status-vote/current/authority
> which lists it at
> w Bandwidth=20 Measured=4
>
> Another way to say that is that it is 5 times worse than the average node
> that advertises 20KB/s. Probably part of that has to do with selecting
> your 'bandwidthburst' at 20KB also.
>
> It sounds like you'll be better off getting more bandwidth for it, if
> you want Tor clients to use it much. Another option might be to turn it
> into a bridge relay instead:
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#RelayOrBridge

I'm on a cable modem connection. Going by the published speeds for my service
level, I have 1.5 Mbit/s download and 384 kbit/s upload, and the next level
up is 10 Mbit/s down and 1 Mbit/s up. I also have a phone (which has QoS
priority, but I don't talk on it much) and a mail server and a web server.
The web server gets some hits from robots, but I have seen 20 kB/s throughput
on the Tor relay for around a minute at a stretch. How should I set the
bandwidth parameters?

Being a bridge doesn't make much sense for me since I'm already listed and my
IP address isn't likely to change unless there's an extended blackout.

I could probably upgrade my connection sometime in January.

OT: In my webserver logs, there are lines like "GET
http://healthiwant.com/proxyheader.php HTTP/1.1" coming from nameless
computers in China. What's causing this?

cmeclax