Why so little bandwidth used?

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Wed Feb 16 15:52:41 UTC 2011

Hello.

My Tor router, named ThunderGodTor, seems to be using too little bandwidth.

I have configured the bandwidth limit as 100KB and the burst at 200KB.  At http://torstatus.asprion.org/ i see confirmation of this configuration, plus an Observed bandwidth of roughly 119KB.  All these values are well within my total network bandwidth.

Check out the Router Detail page at http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/ for my stats.  It shows an average of about 35KB - 40KB with rare peaks at 100KB.  This confirms my observation that Tor is not actually using the 100KB limit I specified.

I am not choking on CPU (1%) or memory utilization (about 7%) on my router machine, so what is the bottleneck in my router utilization?

Thanks.