Why so little bandwidth used?

Klaus Layer klaus.layer at gmx.de
Wed Feb 16 20:07:50 UTC 2011

Lora Roa <hechicera at gmail.com> wrote on 16.02.2011:
> Same thing, but with a bridge.  Can confirm ports forwarded, hybernate not
> messing with it.  I though it was just me or some pattern in how my bridge
> was handed out.
>
> Getting < 1 connection a day now, bandwidth meter reports 7:1 ration of
> incoming to outgoing.  Which made me recheck and retest all my port forward
> settings days ago when I saw it start, but I can't figure it out from my
> end.

I assume this has something to do with the donated bandwidth. If the donated
bandwidth is to low, the relay will (maybe only currently) not being used.

I have 5 relays running. One at me home DSL connection (3Mb/s download,
512Kb/s upload) with 168 Kb/s donated bandwidth . Average bandwidth usage
15Kb/s. It is almost unused. Another node runs at a cable modem connection
(32Mb/s down, 2,5 Mb/s up) and 1,4Mb/s donated bandwidth. Average usage 840
Kb/s. Then I have a root server with two instances. One is under the top 40
TOR nodes. Heavy usage around the clock always 1500-2000 concurrent
connections. Average 20 Mb/s.

My impression is that from point of view of bandwidth it is useless to have
these small relays. Although they help to increase the number of servers and
make it more difficult for an attacker to monitor the TOR network.

Maybe one of the developer can explain these observations.

Regards,

Klaus