[tor-relays] Network Scan through Tor Exit Node (Port 80)

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Sat Feb 26 17:53:30 UTC 2011

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:34:48 +0100
Moritz Bartl <moritz at torservers.net> allegedly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 25.02.2011 17:32, Bianco Veigel wrote:
> > How could I detect such a scan and take counter measures to prevent
> > a network scan through tor?
>
> This is a dangerous route to go. At least I consider exits that filter
> security scans are "bad" and would want them to be flagged
> accordingly.

I agree.

> > I've attached the report from the abuse mail. Does anyone have an
> > idea, what steps should/could be taken?
>
> Try to explain to them why network scans are not illegal, and might as
> well be part of some security researcher activity. Change your hosting
> provider.

But here I disagree. In many jurisdictions network scans /are/ illegal.
No reputable security researcher would a) scan a network without that
network owner's explicit permission, nor b) use tor for that scan.

Mick

The text file for RFC 854 contains exactly 854 lines.
Do you think there is any cosmic significance in this?

Douglas E Comer - Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume 1

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc854.txt