[tor-relays] relaytorkiri

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Fri Dec 30 01:26:40 UTC 2011

On 12/29/2011 08:04 PM, Steve Snyder wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 05:32 PM, Sebastian Urbach wrote:
>> Am Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:20:16 -0500
>> schrieb Nick Walke<tubaguy50035 at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I'm showing that tor is currently using 12 - 14 Mbps on my relay,
>>> however, the status page for my relay (
>>> http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=192bdf2831c1b007a08dc3c1d7e36be16b5cf1c6
>>>
>>> )
>>> does not reflect this speed. Is there a reason for this?
>>
>> Blutmagie is using an old version of the tor status software (3.6
>> something).
>>
>> Try instead torstatus.all.de which uses the actual tor status v4. Here
>> is the url for your relay and the numbers are matching with yours:
>
> I've got little faith in either status page. I really don't know where
> those numbers come from.
>
> For example, my relay named "Alexander". Blutmagie says it has an
> observed bandwidth of 7KB/sec, while torstatus.all.de says it is 70KB
> (yes, seven vs. seventy). Both of those values sound wrong to me.
>
> But torstatus.all.de is closer to what I think is the truth. Then I look
> at the graphics for this relay, and again I do not believe it. The Write
> History values are 15 to 20 times greater than the Read History?!
>
> I won't trust these status pages until they show numbers that I (or
> they) can explain.
>
> https://torstatus.all.de/router_detail.php?FP=8a029c96b97a30f153eb1c951ef23d3f0d61cdd1

I've got a good internal rant going now, so I'll continue to vent.

Here's another one, relay Gnome5:

https://torstatus.all.de/router_detail.php?FP=66ff3aa5cb31e99f684196073cd444725979cb76

This page states an observed bandwidth of roughly 3 megabytes.  (My own
monitor says 5.5 MB/sec on this box, running only a Tor exit node + a
caching DNS server.)

What is that number, some sort of historical average?  Averaged over
what period?  It sure isn't the average of the numbers shown in the
graphics, which again are wildly unbalanced between reads and writes.

As I may have already mentioned: I do not trust these status pages at all.

Oh, and torstatus.all.de recommends accessing their page via HTTPS, but
when you do TBB complaints about their self-signed security certificate
and prompts you to add a security exception to the browser.  Sheesh!