[tor-relays] Bandwidth Authority PID Feedback Experiment #2 Starting

Sebastian Urbach sebastian at urbach.org
Tue Dec 20 14:40:16 UTC 2011

Am Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:32:19 -0800
schrieb Mike Perry <mikeperry at torproject.org>:

Hi,

> Just to be sure, I decided to shut off the experiment on Sunday at 3pm
> US Pacific time anyways. It looks like the performance has in fact
> gotten worse since then.
>
> Does this mean the feedback was definitely working? Who the hell
> knows. But it does seem clear that the transition between the two
> states is definitely a rocky one that requires patience and repeated
> trials to sniff out.

Thats exactly what i meant. My impression is that the feedback seems to
be working after all. Why do you want to investigate the transition any
further ? If the feedback is finally working we probably don't need the
transition in the future anymore :-)

> I am going to leave it disabled for another week, just to see how it
> recovers, then turn it back on again, possibly with the addition of
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4730 if I get a hot
> minute, but possibly without it, just to watch the transition again.
>
> Robert Ransom is quite insistent on the need for this as well:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4708, but that system
> doesn't really need me to build it, as it can be done independent of
> the bwauths. I also think #4730 is more likely to capture the problem
> we were seeing with fast nodes being fast only sometimes, and it will
> be way less work.
>
> Thanks for bearing with me, but we still might have a ways to go
> before we really get to the bottom of this one.

Its way less frustrating if you have at least a hunch. But if you are
stuck in the middle of nowhere ...

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Yours sincerely

Sebastian Urbach

Religion is something left over from the infancy of
our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt
reason and science as our guidelines.

Bertrand Arthur William Russell (1872-1970),
British philosopher, logician, mathematician,
historian, and social critic.