[tor-relays] Bandwidth Authority PID Feedback Experiment #2 Starting

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Sat Dec 10 03:56:23 UTC 2011

Thus spake Sebastian Urbach (sebastian at urbach.org):

> Am Sat, 3 Dec 2011 18:57:22 -0800
> schrieb Mike Perry <mikeperry at torproject.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I've made five major changes to try to address these issues:
> > happens over the next week or so.
>
> Well, somebody has to say it and it seems to be me. The second try is
> also a complete bust. Since your post the performance is getting worse
> and worse every day, though my relays behaviour is pretty normal.

Yes, I have noticed the huge gain in the metrics.tp.o graph.

> Any conclusions from the second try Mike ?

I do not fully understand the cause of it yet, but I did find a rather
nasty bug in the treatment of Guard nodes, where we were not properly
using the "bwauthmercy" consensus param for them, and were punishing
slow guards through multiple rounds of negative feedback. This could
skew the metrics data, and could alter the flow of traffic through the
rest of the network, but there may be other issues at work, too :/.

I am going to wait until the Guard numbers recover from the bug, which
should take 24-48hrs, and then dig deeper next week if the metrics
numbers still persist to be bad.

Please ping back then if your relays still appear to be underloaded
(or overloaded to the point of emitting warns about having too many
circuit creation requests in the log).

--
Mike Perry