[tor-relays] new (to me, at any rate) message

Sebastian Hahn mail at sebastianhahn.net
Sun Dec 4 16:47:30 UTC 2011

On Dec 4, 2011, at 12:40 PM, Scott Bennett wrote:

>     About an hour and a half ago, my node issued the following message.
>
> Dec 04 04:03:56.685 [warn] Tried to establish rendezvous on non-OR or non-edge circuit.
>
> What does it mean?  And what triggers it?  Is it attempting to use a relay
> listed in the directory and consensus, but finding that that relay's status
> has changed since the consensus?

This is a message frequently seen on relays for a while now, due to a
bug in hidden service usage in 0.2.3.x clients. See
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4171 for what we know
about it. Basically, it doesn't indicate a problem with the relay, but
rather the Tor client that uses the relay. Thus, we will soon go ahead
and stop logging this at default log levels, and also fix it on the
client side.

Sebastian