[tor-relays] Bandwidth Authority PID Feedback Experiment #2 Starting

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Sun Dec 4 02:57:22 UTC 2011

Over Thanksgiving and into early this week, we ran an experiment to
test a feedback mechanism to attempt to allocate usage of the Tor
network such that the measured stream capacities through all relays
became equal:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torflow.git/blob/HEAD:/NetworkScanners/BwAuthority/README.spec.txt#l354

This experiment failed in 3 ways:

1. It drove many relays down to 0 utilization. Scott Bennett noted
this in his post to tor-relays, and at least one 10Mbit relay operator
also commented on the traffic drop-off of their node in #tor.

2. It only created one PID 'setpoint' for the entire network, even
though different types of nodes see different load characteristics,
and despite it being impossible to shift load from an Exit node to a
Middle node, for example.

3. It kept allocating bandwidth to some relays (especially Middle and
non-default-policy Exits) until they hit INT32_MAX in the consensus,
and everything finally exploded. We then shut off the feedback by
removing the consensus parameters.

I've made five major changes to try to address these issues:

1. Don't perform multiple rounds of negative feedback for slow nodes.

2. We now group nodes by their flags into four categories (Guard,
Middle, Exit, and Guard+Exit), and compute a different PID setpoint for
each class.

2. Circuit failure now counts more. Circuit failure is our CPU
overload signal, as nodes that hit CPU overload being dropping
onionskins and failing extends. Instead of using the circuit success
rate as a multiplier against the pid_error, we now actually compute a
circ_error similar to the pid_error, and use it as the pid_error if it
is more negative. We also now set FastFirstHopPK 0 to ensure that
Guard nodes also get tested for circuit failure.

3. Raised the PID setpoint slightly, which should prevent us from
piling quite so much weight onto fast relays.

5. Cap feedback via a consensus parameter.

All of these changes are governed by consensus parameters. See:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torflow.git/blob/HEAD:/NetworkScanners/BwAuthority/README.spec.txt#l481
for more details.

The parameters governing feedback are bwauthnsbw=1 and bwauthti. So
long as one or both of these are present and non-zero in the consensus
parameter list, the feedback experiment is active.

We'll probably be running this next experiment for about a week (or
perhaps longer if it doesn't explode and seems to improve performance
on https://metrics.torproject.org/performance.html) starting tonight
or tomorrow.

Please keep an eye on your relays and tell us if anything unexpected
happens over the next week or so.

Thanks!

--
Mike Perry