[tor-relays] Logs full of "eventdns: All nameservers have failed"

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Sat Dec 3 19:58:17 UTC 2011

I see the same thing, and have a working theory: the network connection is saturated, which delays name resolution, causing the log entries.

I run 2 relays on residential ISPs, limiting Tor to about 1/3 of my upload bandwidth.  No problems (nameserver log entries) seen on these relays.

I also run 2 relays on dedicated servers, attempting to fully-utilize a 10Mbps connection on each server.  With the bandwidth configured for 900KB/sec I get a lot of these log entries.  Both of these are running Unbound as a caching DNS server, and neither server is CPU- or memory-constrained.

A couple days ago I changed to the BIND name server as an experiment.  It seems to have helped, but is too early to say for sure.

I've been resisting he reduction of the configured Tor bandwidth, but that will be the next attempt to eliminate the log entries.

-------------------

# bin/tor-dns-fails.sh
Oct 23 DNS failures: 30
Oct 24 DNS failures: 102