[tor-relays] Sorry, HotMail users, you're rejected

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Mon Aug 22 20:02:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:47:42 -0700
Mike Perry <mikeperry at fscked.org> allegedly wrote:

> Thus spake Steve Snyder (swsnyder at snydernet.net):
>
> > Got another threatening e-mail from my ISP today, prompted by
> > another SpamCop complaint regarding spam run through HotMail.
> > HotMail records the address of the originating server and that,
> > again, is my exit node.
> >
> > So I have to curtail exit access to HotMail.  Yeah, it sucks, but I
> > know of no way to block the sending of webmail while still allowing
> > it to be retrieved.
>
> Make sure this is done via exit policy and not iptables or DNS filter.
>
> Also, are you sure you have the whole hotmail netblock?

And make sure that you similarly block all webmail remailers. Hotmail
aren't the only ones to stick "X-Originating-IP" headers in the mail.

But seriously, I think this is a bad idea. Much better to explain to
your ISP what has happened and why you are not responsible. I have
done exactly that with my ISP when they shovelled spamcop crud my way.
They understood entirely, reacted like professionals and told spamcop
where to go. If your provider won't help, it may be time to switch
providers.

Mick

The text file for RFC 854 contains exactly 854 lines.
Do you think there is any cosmic significance in this?

Douglas E Comer - Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume 1

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc854.txt