[tor-relays] Received abuse complaint - how did this happen?

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Wed Aug 10 11:43:27 UTC 2011

On 08/10/2011 05:54 AM, Javier Bassi wrote:
>> On Aug 9, 2011, at 11:46 PM, Steve Snyder wrote:
>>
>>> Today my ISP informed me that an abuse complaint had been lodged against me by spamcop.net.
>>> (...)
>>> Anyone have any thoughts as to how my Tor config can be used to transmit spam?
>>>

> Did you have the Exit node flag on port 80? You should contact
> directly to spamcop to inform them about tor since they are active
> contacting ISPs.

I had and still have the ORPort on 443.  I had DirPort on 9030, but have
since moved it to port 80 so that I can put up the Tor Exit explanatory
web page (DirPortFrontPage).

So what do people do about spam via webmail?  Blocking ports 80 and 443
largely negates the point of being an exit node.

Thanks for the reply.