Jamie Baillie/USENET Spam

Jim jimmymac at copper.net
Mon Sep 27 21:15:07 UTC 2010

Richard Johnson wrote:
> At 03:35 -0400 on 2010-09-27, Andrew Lewis wrote:
>> Anyone run across this guy before? He is submitting abuse reports to my
>> server provider(100TB.com) as well as their ISP(Softlayer) in an attempt
>> to get my node shutdown. Apparently from a quick search on his name, he
>> has a history of doing this thing before, but it is getting annoying
>> because of the precarious position that I am on for using 100TB.com.
>>

>> Anyone had to deal with him before? And any suggestions for dealing with
>> him? He keeps insisting that he understands how Tor works, but then goes
>> on to claim that I need to "lockdown" my relay so that the abuse will
>> stop. I am somewhat at a loss as to what I should do.
>>
>> -Andrew
>

> I've run across him frequently since his leaking of Homolka case
> information in violation of a Canadian publication ban in 1993/1994.  I
> think it fair to assume that he's known world-wide, by his own well-earned
> reputation.
>
> Baillie is nearly functional enough to participate in society.  Sadly, this
> leaves him open to being deliberately spun up by trolls.  The heat from his
> present use of and complaints about tor nodes (including his complaints
> about his own traffic) are a result.
>
> It's best to ignore him completely.  Provide no response to his messages.
> This also goes for your providers' abuse staff, if that can be arranged.
> It's what we do.
>
> Keep in mind that ignoring him does not necessarily stop his incessant
> complaints.  But at least with no response to trigger memory and feed
> further spite, there will be less to spin him up even further.

This is the first I have heard of either Baillie or Homolka.  So out of
curiosity I put those terms into a search engine.  It seems there are
quite a number of posts about Mr. Baillie.  One in particular that might
be useful to your situation is:

http://www.canadianisp.ca/jamie_baillie.html

Of course, I can't vouch for accuracty or usefulness of the contents of
that page, but it might be something worth looking at and considering.
Now how reasonable Softlayer will be (given Moritz's experience), I
can't say.

Good luck!

Jim