Jamie Baillie/USENET Spam

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Mon Sep 27 20:42:50 UTC 2010

Thus spake Richard Johnson (rdump at river.com):

> It's best to ignore him completely.  Provide no response to his messages.
> This also goes for your providers' abuse staff, if that can be arranged.
> It's what we do.
>
> Keep in mind that ignoring him does not necessarily stop his incessant
> complaints.  But at least with no response to trigger memory and feed
> further spite, there will be less to spin him up even further.

Is there a better response we can give to usenet vigilantes like this
in general? We've run into a few of these characters who repeatedly
send abuse reports, sometimes for something as simple as cross-posting
to an off-topic group...

If we had a response like "Here is how to automatically feed the
output of TorBEL/TorDNSRBL into your killfile/match
NTTP-Posting-Host" maybe this would help some of them.. I can't find a
lot of docs on how to configure killfiles based on IP list though.
Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place?

For our ISP, the key thing they want from us is for there to be *some*
way for the abuse complaintant to mitigate abuse. For most things,
TorBEL and the DNSRBL are an acceptable answer, but usenet is a bit
tricky, because right now it ends up falling on Google to correct the
issue (and most of the time, I'm guessing Google will not cancel
someone's account for an off-topic non-spam post, despite what these
vigilantes may want).

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist