init.d script for multi instance TOR servers

Jim Jimmymac at copper.net
Tue Sep 7 07:12:34 UTC 2010

Olaf Selke wrote:
> On 06.09.2010 19:25, Moritz Bartl wrote:
>> On 06.09.2010 18:07, Olaf Selke wrote:
>>> depending on your tcp timeout parameters you need a lot of local ports.
>>> Did you verify the number of Tor tcp sessions isn't limited by
>>> net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range?
>> Yes.
>
> I'm clueless. Do you want me to shut down all four blutmagie exits for a
> couple of days and wait if other exits get more traffic?

If the idea is to run some experiments, I have a proposal that perhaps
would have less adverse impact on the Tor network -- and hoperfully
still yield useful data ...

I believe torservers (Moritz's nodes) are runnning slighly less than 3/4
of what  he believes their capacity should be.  And I think he is
running four instances of roughtly equal capacity.  What if Moritz -- as
an experiment -- converted one of his four nodes to a non-exit node.
If his total traffic is roughly unchanged from what it is now, then I
believe that would indicate (relative) excess exit capacity is not the
problem.  If his total traffic increases significantly, then perhaps
further investigation is warranted.  Is that worth a try?

Cheers,
Jim